Sunday 11 January 2015

Week 15 - Modelling A Female Body, Anatomy Studies & Life Drawing

Modeling a Female Body

This model has caused me a few initial probelms though. One being that I needed to model an organic shape (a body) using front, side and back reference planes. These drawings did not allign crrectly from all angles, so I neded to some more thinking in order to get the model to look right in these areas. I've spent a while looking back throught my life drawings and also researching online for anotomical sources. This was to help me figure out how some areas not shown on the reference drawings, should look like, especially on the inside sides of arms and legs. The reference drawings did not describe the shape of these areas well.




























Above are some rendered views of my finished low poly female body model. Just to add, the head for this model was provided and my task was to make a body using supplied concept drawings to fit in with it. I think I managed to get it correct, as the body doesn't look out of proportion and also it stands fairly straight so its pose seems balanced enough.

I was satisfied with my model, as I have managed to get it to look very similar to its reference. It meant to me that I was able to fairly well visualise and make a model from someone's idea/work. It's a useful skill in group projects, where I may need to be able to understand and work from ideas made by another person/team member.

As additional practice, I decide to work on a few paintovers of this model. It was just a way of practicing how I could maybe design some form of clothing for it, to then model onto it later. I've spent some time on it, but clearly not enough, as I only ended up wth 2 outcomes. I was aiming for a military theme here. I think it would be a good idea to work on more of these in my character project, as it may be an area in which I'll struggle since it's fairly new to me.




In my spare time, I have been taking pictures of some of my friends and one here is also of myself. I then practiced drawing the body structure on top of these images in grey. From that I tried to reconstruct these by painting the structure below the photos and painting in the different geometric shapes making up their bodies. I felt that this partly enabled me to understand how the mass of a person's body behaves/moves in 3 dimensional space, especially how our bodies appear forshortened when standing in sharper angels from our eye.

Life Drawing



















The warm up sketches went well for me, although I din't finish the 2nd one in time, but it was a tighter and more difficult pose to draw what impacted my timing. The following drawing was going well, until I got the the strongly foreshortened pose in the 2nd one. I made a mistake when measuring and the thigs ended up looking too thick and long. This unfortunately caused the upper body to appear too small and out of place. With that mentality, I moved onto the last drawing where I spent extra time measuring, to prevent that mistake, but again that cost me some time and my model was missing her legs on this one. I was really satisfied with the last drawing though. This learning curve has gotten me to this stage and my last outcome ended up looking most accurate to me. The definition of the stomach and shoulders worked well and I can almost make out some sort fo movement from this drawing.




No comments:

Post a Comment