Sunday 26 October 2014

Week 4 - Sci-Fi Crate & Life Drawing



Sci-Fi Crate



Firstly I created reference planes, these were spaced out to allow enough room to make my basic cube between them. I then applied the concept images of the crate to them and used the x-ray mode to make my object transparent, allowing me to see my reference planes (with the concept graphic) through it, this made it easier to accurately model the crate. I have done most of the modeling using vertex selection and the move/uniform scale tools. 


I made most of my texture in Photoshop CC, mainly by using magic wand and the stamp tool to extract details/textures from reference images, such as scratches or dirt stains (above pictures shows the UVW unwrap and the texture I created for it). Additionally I later noticed how my texture seemed slightly empty, so I decided to add additional detail, such as bolts and gray stickers on all sides.

I was really interested in modelling a Sci-Fi themed object like a crate, as I am strongly interested in futuristic designs. I think I managed to model the crate very well, most areas were easy to build from the concept and the unwrapping seemed fairly simple since there was no complex geometry in this shape apart from the cylinders.
 
I still have encountered a couple of problems in the process. The most difficult problem to solve was not the unwrapping, but actually having to make the texture align and join on the corners of each side. I need to work more on making sure that marks such as scratches, align to the other side without deforming. Additionally I found it difficult to create various surface finishes such as polished or scratched metal. I eventually came up with a few solutions, but I still think I could have done this better. I must experiment with colours more next time, as I couldn’t come up with a unique colour scheme to match the theme well. The yellow and grey colour scheme seemed best for the Sci-Fi design so I kept it.

Life Drawing

A small change occurred that week, as instead of drawing a model, I drew other students from my course. Each person came up to the centre of the room, to pose for others. We have done this in turns and all poses lasted for around 5 minutes. This time I tried to focus more on the overall shape of poses, but this caused me to spend less time on measuring and so I ended up with a couple of mistakes with proportions. I tried to make up for that and made sure I measure correctly in the following drawings. 
Certain poses involved 2 people and were too tricky to draw in just 5 minutes. This was why they seemed to be drawn aggressively as I was drawing too quickly to focus on the darkness of my pencil marks. Eventually the last drawing worked out better.  It was not complete, as I still didn't have enough time then, but in this study I kept the proportions accurate for both of the students posing.

No comments:

Post a Comment