Sunday 2 November 2014

Week 5 - Guildhall Visit, Life Drawing, Stylised Rock & Gurus Project

Guildhall Visit and Life Drawing

I was pretty excited about that week, as we made a visit to an old guildhall in Leicester. It was a roughly 400 years old building, which has been partly renovated, but some of its damaged/aged sections were kept, like some uneven, wooden beams, partly dented or collapsed walls and slightly deformed windows. As I went inside this guildhall, I was immersed by its charm; the atmosphere on the inside felt odd and different to me. This was partly due to its older appearance. Even the flooring brought my attention; it was made up of large, smooth stone slabs. The ceiling had these huge, chunky, wooden beams, which supported the roof. In other words, it seemed that the appearance of this guildhall strongly relied on its internal structure being exposed and the arrangement of wooden beams.
During this visit, I also drew many studies. Some of those were quick drawings, focused on the actual structure and surroundings of this guildhall; while other drawings described the various surface properties and textures of the many materials used to construct this guildhall. 


As an additional form of reference, I took some photographs of textures and areas around the guildhall. All of these studies were essential, as on the following week I will be starting a village project, in which I’ll be designing a house. For this reason I will need to gain a basic understanding of how older Tudor buildings, such as the Guildhall, were constructed, as otherwise I will be struggling to come up with any strong or convincing ideas.


Apart from this trip, I’ve spent a few days during the week on visiting local areas, such as public parks and a canal to draw people from observation. This was partly a task set for my Life Drawing section of the course. The aim here was to time myself; to draw someone and describe as much of their appearance, and pose as possible. The toughest part of this task though, was that I did not always know how long someone would keep their specific pose. My subject could suddenly walk off or get up from where they were sitting, so I needed to mark down their proportions and pose very quickly. A technique that worked well for me during these drawing trips was continuous line. It made me focus more on specific aspects of my drawings, like body proportions. This is because I limited my movement by not taking off my pencil, what in turn made me think more about the direction in which to draw my line. It allowed me to instantly fill in my page with a shape of my subject’s body and basic pose too. Then if my subject hasn't moved or re positioned, I continued on that drawing more. Also these studies were meant to be drawn using at least 4 different mediums; I used a coloured pencil for the first few and then moved onto a black marker pen for the next 5. I planned to repeat this visit in the following days, to continue my drawings, as there were still two other drawing mediums that I wanted to use: a graphite pencil and a different coloured pencil.

Stylised Rock

I was tasked with designing and modelling a stylised rock, using no more than 600 triangles in 3DS Max. I began by making silhouettes in Photoshop CC, which were inspired by my research into textures and my mood board/reference sheet.  The modelling was more complex this time and I needed to make a physical model of my rock idea, in order to better understand it and apply any necessary changes before I make a final model in 3DS Max. Part of that problem was also the texturing/unwrapping, as I needed to make a physical stylised texture to see how it turns out on a physical model. This way I would have something to base my digital texture from.

Rocks have a lot of different combinations of shapes and sizes. This is why I think designing a model of one was fairly simple. It was meant to be stylised and at the same time believable. This is where I encountered the most problems though, as I needed to find the right balance. One way of doing that was to add a form of history to the appearance of my rock ideas. For example, one had a carved top section, shaped like a tear drop, with a gem stone sticking out of it. Also a message was left on it, which I wrote in Traditional Chinese; saying “here”. The purpose of this message was to strengthen the sense of history behind this rock. Someone may have been here, and marked it for a reason or maybe it was decorated in memory of someone. I tried to apply this style of thinking to most of the ideas that I chose to develop further.

Portal Inspired Arcade Game Cabinet

As an initial project for Gurus and Grasshoppers, I was tasked with designing an arcade gaming cabinet. It was up to me to choose what game to use for this project, including the style in which to design my cabinet. I have decided to use “Portal” as my game for this project, partly to make it more difficult. Choosing a modern sci-fi game was an even bigger challenge to me, as apart from coming up with ideas inspired by this game, I also spent time thinking of ways, of making my designs look modern and futuristic. By “modern” I meant that Portal was a fairly modern game, set in a futuristic, scientific facility, full of clean, open areas and my game cabinet needed to clearly resemble this style. I included some of the in-game objects/robots, in my mood board. This was because I needed to have something to compare my designs to, so that I can really see whether I was heading in the right direction with my work. This improved my ideas; they were more recognisable and at the same time fitted into the Portal’s world more.

Concepts

When it came to my colour palette, I immediately noticed it was going to be fairly limited, as white is used primarily in the environments, in the first Portal game; there were only a few blues, reds and oranges. The only way I thought worked in designing my game cabinets, so they resembled the game, was to stick with the clean, dominant-white appearance. So far my concepts resembled the game fairly well, they still lacked the white colour, as I was still deciding on their final shape and didn't want to over complicate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment