Sunday 8 February 2015

Week 19 - Stylised (Butcher) Character Tonal/Colour Studies & Life Drawing

Colour Moodboard



Aside from this one I also made a smaller mood board, focused on colour. It's a simpler collection of images (mainly paintings) that represented different colour variations, which I could use in my  colour studies later on. I made sure to collect reference that shows mostly butchers here, also in different times and cultures. I could use this later to define my character more, as to me colour is very essential in making a character look unique.


Chosen Idea Value & Colour Studies







































After the last weeks silhouettes/ideas I selected the most interesting few and decided on one that I took forward. Firstly I used photo bashing to add detail to this idea; that combined with a bit of painting over. For that idea I spent some time, carefully selecting the most appropriate tonal values for each piece of clothing and I have managed to come up with 9 different tonal variations. I aimed at creating more variations but eventually felt that it was enough experimentation; I could essentially go back to the value studies and make new ones if I felt that my chosen ones did not look well enough to me with colour.

The next step here was to again, pick a few more successful ideas, select the best/most unique one and spend some time on applying colour layers onto it to develop more convincing ideas.



My characters clothing still seemed empty at this stage. I added a few details by painting over on the knife pouch, the belt and also the boots. The boots now have these small patterns and strings on the upper section. I'll try to apply these extra details at the end of my project (when texturing). 

I picked the 9th one to take forward, then copied it into 3 rows and then made more copies horizontally. For each row of ideas, I used a different colour palette, taken from a different painting from my colour mooodboard. I picked 5 of the ideas here, marked with a "tick". 

In my style guide for this project, I was advised to use mostly warm colours, so 2 of the chosen ideas in the middle row needed to be scrapped, as they had too much cold blue in them. I would have kept them if they only had small hints of blue but I couldn't decide on where to put that colour.

Life Drawing


2.2.15



Tonal pieces like the one above are the most useful now, as they taught me a few things about fabric folds and how to separate values of different surfaces such as skin, and cotton. I have used charcoal and white chalk to give surface depth to the model's body and also other objects like the fabrics placed on her legs. This should really help me in the future, when painting my character's texture. Also to understand how fabrics fold/hang around our legs, arms and shoulders etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment