Sunday 8 March 2015

Week 26 - Toyota Hilux Pickup Modeling

Modelling

























The chassis was the easiest section for me to model. Its shape is fairly straight and has visible bends on the blueprints. The only issue I had was figuring out how much detail I should put into making it; certain areas where the metal beams connect could have been welded or I may have added more polygons to make them look smoother. I decided to save that idea until the end of the model, as I may exceed my triangle budget by doing this. The whole model is being made with a symmetry modifier.




















Wheels and front of the body were the next steps. Adjusting the tyres' shape so they had that specific roundness and volume was tricky. It required me to apply my smoothing groups correctly, as otherwise these tyres would have looked like baloons and not strong chunky rubber tyres. I selected a different smoothing group for the wheel rims too, as this way they stood out more. Additionally I changed the smoothing group for the fenders above the front wheels. In the real pickup truck they are a seperate part of the body and I needed them to stand out, to be rendered seperately.




















Adding on those body sides was tricky. Although they look straight and flat; they actually are slightly curved from top to bottom. I have overdone it at the start and they looked too round from the front view. I went ahead to look for some reference shots from angles views. This way I had a better idea of how to readjust them and I feel fairly happy about the result now. The smoothing group for back fenders has also been changed to make them stand out from the body, just like the front ones were earlier.




















I encountered a similar problem here to when I was modelling the sides. The roof and the windows needed to be correctly rounded off, the windows were the hardest to get right though. They curve in their own way and it's slightly different to the car body's shape. The windows are held inside the doors, therefore I needed to extrude a few millimeters into the door, before making them. This way they seemed like seperate objects from the doors. I also made sure to set diferent smoothing group for the windows so they don't blend with the doors too much.




















When I was almost finished with the body, I decided to move onto other areas and I started modelling smaller details like the headlights, side mirrors and door handles. I will later remove one of the door handles, so I am just left with one to texture, as then I can just clone it onto the other door to save time. Next areas to focus on will be the underneath of the pickup's body, the back bed and tailgate. Also I may add additional details to the inside sides of the wheels, as they look fairly empty there.

No comments:

Post a Comment