Sunday 22 March 2015

Week 28 - Toyota Hilux Pickup Texturing

Unwrapping & Texturing
Unwrapping was getting easier to me over time; especially when it came to hard surfaces of vehicles. I unwrapped much harder objects before, like my Stylised Rock or Stylised Character, so this was a nice break from those, as it was fairly straight forward. I've just put a few seams here and there and used the relax tool to flatten the unwraps. Using photo textures was a quicker process for me, these didn't take me long at all. I have only spent additional time later to make them clearer and add some more marks. Some were of which were done using the burn tool (windows, tyres and the underneath of the pickup body) and some with a low-opacity brush (highlights).


































The chassis took me a little longer to unwrap. Many parts needed to be overlayed on top of eachother, as they were too similar to eachother and I thought I'll use the same texture space for those. It all went well up to this point and I only needed to make sure my textures were evenly applied to all unwrapped surfaces. The detail level needed to be the same throughout the whole model, so that none of the areas stood out by having too much or too little detail.

Finished Model Renders






















The end result was much better that I expected, mainly since I didn't have much experience in making photo textures. My pickup model turned out readable, clean and its details were sharp. The only area I would have added more work to would have been the body's sides. I had to leave them, as I was low on time, but what I wanted to add was some wear marks around the door bottom and edges. Only small scratches and dust marks. The kind of marks left by small rocks, which were stuck to the tyres of other vehicles on the road and thrown back at it hen it was too close behind them. Maybe a small chip or crack in the front window would have been good too. Even a long scratch on the front bonnet would have added some form of history to my pickup model.

No comments:

Post a Comment